Life has felt a little extra chaotic lately. Nothing specific to mention, just the general and persistent stress and trauma of living in a fast paced society, ya know?
Even as someone who practices mindfulness like a full time job, my mind sometimes feels like city streets- where all the traffic lights have stopped working and it has become a blood bath, free for all, every man, car, pedestrian for themself.
So, I am here to remind you, and myself, of the simple pleasures in life- and how to return to them when life feels messy.
Let me remind you that simple pleasures are highly personal- what I find joy in might not be the same little things that you find joy in, and that is okay- encouraged even! How beautiful to experience life uniquely!
It is my belief though, that to live fully we must uncover what it is that brings use joy and then keep allowing that to be in our orbit of life.
As I turn 30 in just a few months, I have created a list of 30 things that bring me simple pleasure.
Take what resonates, leave what doesn’t, and then go create your own.
- Waking up by the light of the sun and not your alarm (!!!!!!!)
- Going to bed a little earlier, just because you can
- Receiving a handwritten note, or writing one
- Walking barefoot
- Plating a meal you cooked for friends or family
- Feeling sunshine after never ending grey
- Listening to your favorite music while walking or running
- Adding something life-giving to your daily routine
- Starting to feel better after being sick (currently looking forward to this, as I sit here sipping hot tea and blowing my nose, repetitively)
- Lighting your favorite candle
- Taking the first sip of your favorite beverage
- Looking back at old photos
- Coming into work to an organized and clean space
- Breathing salty fresh air at the beach
- Buying something nice for yourself “just because”
- Coming home to a clean house
- Hugging someone who needs emotional support
- Going to the farmer’s market on a Saturday morning
- Being read to out loud
- Going on a long walk with your dog
- Taking a cleansing deep breath
- Listening to live music
- Finishing a good book and starting a new book
- Merging on the highway at the start of a road trip
- Sitting by a campfire
- Turning up the radio when a good song comes on
- Experiencing post-workout endorphins
- Climbing into bed with fresh sheets
- Dipping down into a hot tub
- Snuggling up under a cozy blanket
Whatever it is you are doing with your day today, I encourage you to take a moment to pause and indulge in a simple pleasure.
What a different world we might live in, if THIS was the core practice of living.
Leave a Reply